Wake up at 6. Get ready for the office by 8. Take a commute for 1 hour. Reach office by 9. Then encounter a pompous boss ready to strike you down with bombs of criticism. Tired, get back to home and warm yourself with blankets of hopelessness.
Sounds scary, right?
Starting your own freelance digital marketing business can be the antidote to this horror. Even if you have a fulfilling job, freelancing can reconnect you with things you enjoy doing and help you make money from it.
With the world on Internet, digital marketing is on a boom and hiring freelancers is becoming not only more acceptable, but more attractive for many businesses. This creates an incredible opportunity for people with useful skills to start a freelance business on the side, and eventually grow that into a sustainable self-employed career.
Here’s how to do that.
7- Steps To Start A Freelance Digital Marketing Business
1) Identify Your Passion
If you fail 99 times trying to do something, and you give it a 100th try, with the same energy and excitement you tried it for the first time, that’s your passion. Because you love the process and struggle attached to the things you’re passionate about.
To start your digital marketing business, you may choose from:
- Graphic Design
- Link Building
- Website Design
- Event Management
- Content Writing
- Video Editing
- Social Media
You are emotionally connected to your passion. Learn to harness that connection.
2) Identify Your Skill Gap
Having a passion does not necessarily mean you have the required skills to drive it. Know yourself. Ask questions you feel uncomfortable answering.
If you want to start your business in graphic designing, ask yourself if you’re good at Photoshop, illustrator, InDesign, etc.
If you’re passionate about content writing, ask yourself if you can write a content that can engage audience.
Being passionate and being expert on a subject does not mean the same thing. So, once you ask yourself the questions, get ready for the step 3.
3) Fulfill Your Skill/Knowledge Gap
Start Investing your time and money in learning the right skills that drive your passion.
4) Get Your First Client
Once you’ve got everything set, don’t hesitate to transmute your knowledge into business. It is hard but extraordinarily special. Here’s how you can get your first client.
- You can start from your close friends or relatives.
- Start talking with local businesses and convince them how you can be beneficial to their business. Always deliver on time.
- You can use online platform to hunt your first client. Be prepared with your attractive offers, portfolios and do not rest until you get your first client.
5) Give Your 100% To Satisfy Your Client
Treat every customer as if they were a VIP. Because that’s what they are. A VIP, to you. How you deal with one customer has a large say in your habit of dealing with customer.
Listen to their problems, and be responsive.
Always deliver on time. And build a habit of giving extras now and then. It promotes your goodwill.
6) Go For Personal Online Branding
If you want to work on the Internet, you should build a trustworthy, impressive presence on the internet. Here’s some tips on how you can do that:
- Start a personal blog related to your passion. Regularly post new articles to entertain your audience/clients
- Add a portfolio page with projects you’ve done or on-going projects. Optimize your website for SEO.
- Add Contact information and list out the services you can provide.
- Build a strong social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Start your own YouTube Channel and share your knowledge/skills through videos (Video Marketing).
- Run Ads on Social Media and on Google.
- Ask your clients to give feedback on their last project with you.
7) Scale Up Your Freelance Business
Human nature always wants more. You are no exception, so here’s the last step.
Do not settle on your business. Scale it up. Branch-out to find new clients and keep on building your network.
Invest in professional development, systematize your services and aim for creating a solid team.
Make a Decision
If you’re on this post, you probably have tried a startup or you’re thinking about it. My advice for you is make a decision, and stick to it.
I know, commitment is hard, your business will have ups and downs, but running your own digital marketing business is so fulfilling.
You don’t have to leave your job right now. Start somewhere, work nights and weekends. Once your business takes shape, then decide.
For now, make a decision and start acting on it!
If you guys need any help do contact !!